The Prometheus Academy - The Biotechnology Advantage
Sharing the fire of learning
The Biotechnology Advantage
Spring 2018 Registration from November 6th, 2017 through January 31st, 2018 - Action Steps
Pay Registration Fee
Pay Fall Tution
What advantages does biotechnology bring to EVERY science class taught at Prometheus?
Advanced Lab Equipment
Every class can take advantage of advanced lab equipment. Because we are investing in equipment and we integrate this equipment and technology into the lab exercises in many lower-grade science classes
- Micro-pipettors (all classes)
- Mini-centrifuges (all classes)
- Spectrophotometers (all classes)
- Power supplies (IPC, Physics, Chemistry)
- Gel electrophoresis (Life Science, IPC, Biology, Chemistry)
A Competitive Advantage
Your student's experience with advanced technology provides them with a valuable competitive advantage when applying for scholarships and academic programs.
- 6th grade Life Science—micropipetting, gel electrophoresis, and isolation of DNA
- 7th grade Earth Science—use of spectrophotometer to quanitfy phosphate compound samples in the rock cycle.
- 8th grade Integrated Physics and Chemistry—micropipetting for small scale chemistry labs, use of spectrum analysis equipment, and software to identify elements in stars.
- 9th grade Biology—micropipetting, DNA isolation and transfer of a gene to E. coli, cloning (making copies of) selected gene, isolating gene, plus gel electrophoresis to evaluate the quality and sucess of cloning and isolation
- 10th grade Chemistry—new chromatography techniques to isolate desired compounds, UV/visual spectrophotometry to identify and quantify desired substance, spectral analysis to identify elements in a gas, etc.
- 11th grade Physics—use of variable power supply for electricity experiments, use of spectrophotometer for absorbtion experiments, etc.
Advance Your Student's Own Research
Your student will be able to use biotechnology protocols and equipment for their own research. As we learn to use new technology, new techniques, and new protocols, your student is equipped to branch out into new areas of science exploration. Our future plans include providing research opportunities for students!
On every level, biotechnology is fascinating and fun! Your student will (more than likely!) be inspired by the knowlege they gain and the skills they acquire.