The Prometheus Academy - American Sign Language (Level 1)
Sharing the fire of learning
American Sign Language (Ms. Brenda Escobar)
Spring 2018 Registration from November 6th, 2017 through January 31st, 2018 - Action Steps
Pay Registration Fee
Pay Fall Tution
Class meets on Mondays and Wednesdays, 11:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
2017-2018 Tuition: $352 per semester or $666 annual
Homework is 1 to 3 hours per week. Students communicate with other students and the teacher in class.
American Sign Language: 2½ hours per week, 32 weeks
Upon completion of this class, students have acquired the ability to expressively communicate in American Sign Language (ASL) using basic ASL vocabulary. They are able to receptively comprehend conversations signed in ASL and answer questions about ASL history, deaf culture, and ASL grammatical structure.
Students learn how to:
- Describe the linguistic rules of non-spoken language
- Incorporate body language and facial grammar
- Become familiar with the ASL/English sign continuum
- Communicate without using voice
- Demonstrate visual-discrimination and memory skills
- Develop basic expressive and receptive skills needed to communicate in ASL
Why should students take this course:
- This course counts as a foreign language.
- Learning a new language enriches and enhances cognitive processes: creative thinking, better problem-solving, and better comprehension skills.
- Basic knowledge of sign language can be useful communication in different professions.
Textbook: Signing Naturally: Student Workbook, Units 1-6, by Cheri Smith. ©2008 ISBN-13: 978-1-581-21210-5
Publisher: DawnSignPress; Pap/DVD St edition, 423 pages
Brenda has been homeschooling her four children since 2003. Her oldest has since graduated from homeschooling and is working full time. Brenda has an Associate degree in Science and is currently working on her Bachelors in Accounting at University of Texas at Dallas. During her spare time, she loves spending time with her family, watching movies, and loves to bake with every opportunity.