Steve Smith – Sr. Technical Writer (September 017)
Professional Technical Writer Summary
An agile-driven technical writer who documents multiple layers of a customer's software/hardware solution—client interface, business rules, system administration, customer support, and data storage. Create documents to meet customer needs: users—key installation and usage procedures, system administrators—system configuration and updates, developer—APIs/SDKs and UML design requirements. Skilled at developing multiple media documentation, XML document technologies, Internet standards, customer-focused help systems, and extensive desktop publishing.
- Develop SharePoint search procedures independent of library folder structures.
- Create videos to supplement user assistance for initial customer training
- Transform product Agile stories and use cases into modular task, concept, and reference topics.
- Map content topics into customer multimedia formats (guides, help, website, tablet, and phones).
- Create tools to help reuse customer, system administrator, and developer documentation for training classes, marketing collateral, and support knowledge bases.
- Adhere to organization writing and style guidelines, while employing new authoring techniques.
- Facilitate SME meetings (4-8 people) to capture unwritten technical concepts in structured format.
- Developed a metadata taxonomy to classify all SharePoint library documents using 12 document attributes. Able to search SharePoint libraries WITHOUT knowing the oragnization of the documents. (2017)
- Worked with eight supply chain teams to capture, document, and validate corporate procurement, warehouse, and sourcing procedures. (2014)
- Single-sourced two server Security Compliance and Validation Guides that shared 80% of the same content. Conditionally tagged the 10% content unique to each server. (2013)
- Created reference guides for network hardware-accelerator chips with FrameMaker, Vasont CMS, SnagIt, and DITA writing standard. (2012)
- Developed architecture diagrams, uses cases, installation guide, and GoLIVE documents for Charles Schwab session-security management. (2010)
- Simplified troubleshooting procedures to decrease IT support calls, shape the initial Odyssey Troubleshooting Guide, and created instructional slides for customer IT staff. (2009)
- Assembled a Texas Instruments' document portal, linking 1200 data sheets, peripheral guides, brochures, and manuals used to program (C++, C, & assembly) DSP chips. (2008)
- Programmed corrective PERL scripts to repair documents from Astoria CMS—remove unused graphics, DTD references, replace invalid characters, and fix table structures. (2007)
- Built SDK (Eclipse Help) to document custom functionality for a state-controlled, server-driven engine that integrated call control and voice applications. (2006)
- Developed extensive set of Adobe interactive forms to capture complex benefit plan information and help configure the benefit plans in a Saas Participant Enrollment application. (2017)
Professional Documentation Samples